Hide Condition Report - False
Description

Lot 1183

Tuesday 06 Feb, 2018 - 10.00am

A late 18th/early 19th Century French kingwood and gilt brass mounted rectangular Bureau Plat of "Louis XV" design, the whole of slightly shaped serpentine outline, the top now inset with dark wine velour, within chevron bandings inlaid with central banding, moulded gilt brass edging with leaf and scroll corners, fitted three frieze drawers with chevron inlaid drawer fronts and gilt brass leaf and scroll handles and mounts, three dummy drawers to reverse, above shaped apron and on slender square cabriole legs with gilt brass leaf and scroll mouldings and leaf sabots, 57.5ins wide x 29ins deep x 30.5ins high (later velour inlaid to top - generally scuffed and marked)
Provenance: The property of Francis, Lord Jeffrey (1773-1850). Editor of the influential "Edinburgh Review" from 1803-1829 and Lord Advocate of Scotland. Thought to have been acquired in 1801 on his marriage to Catherine Wilson (who died in 1805). On his second marriage in 1815 he leased Craigcrook Castle, Edinburgh and this was the table at which he wrote his articles for the Edinburgh Review and had kept the table until his death in 1850. It was left to John Hunter (1801-1869) his first wife's nephew and protégé and thence by family descent.
Note: Complete with a lithograph portrait of Francis Jeffrey engraved by S. Freeman after W.Evans, published March 16th 1812, oval 12.5ins x 8.25ins, framed and glazed

Estimate £2,500 - 3,500 Sold for £6,000

Plus buyers premium of 24% »