You will receive an email as soon as the condition report is available.
Condition Reports are completed as quickly as possible, in sale order.
Condition report and AML Notice
Descriptions provided in both printed and on-line catalogue formats do not include condition reports. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Interested bidders are strongly encouraged to request a condition report on any lots upon which they intend to bid, prior to placing a bid. All transactions are governed by The Canterbury Auction Galleries Conditions of Sale.
Clients should be aware the The Canterbury Auction Galleries are registered under the new Anti-Money Laundering art market regulations, and will be operating within the British Art Market Federation published guidelines
Lot 357Tuesday 11 Jun, 2013 - 10.00am
A small selection of medallions, plaques, etc relating to the family of George Patterson of Birmingham, Founder of New Hudson Motorcycles in 1903 in Birmingham, comprising - one 9ct gold and one gold coloured metal prize medallions for The Motorcycling Club, London to Exeter Run for 27th and 28th December 1911 and 1912, awarded to his sons C. Patterson and H. Patterson, 28mm diameter (weight 12.2 and 12.5 grammes), three London Bulldog Society cast silvery metal plaques, 48mm square awarded to 'Chineham Paradox' and 'Chineham Maluma', inscribed and dated 1910 and 1911, four other prize medallions, and small sundry other items Note : New Hudson Motorcycles was a British motorcycle manufacturer in Birmingham, their first motorcycle was produced in 1902 but as unsuccessful. The New Hudson range expanded between 1910 and 1915 using JAP engines, then the factory joined the war effort until 1919. As well as side valve and OHV single cylinder engines of 350 to 600cc they also built a 211cc two stroke and a number of three wheelers with MAG engines. In 1927 Bert le Vack broke the 100 miles per hour (160 km/h) record at Brooklands on a 500cc New Hudson. The firm stopped motorcycle production in 1932 and changed their name to Girling Ltd which still exists as a brake component company. Bikes were made under the New Hudson name after the Second World War when they became a subsidiary of Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) and manufactured successful autocycles until 1957.