Buying at Auction
In common with all major auctioneers, we operate a buyers premium and all buyers must pay a premium of 20% plus V.A.T. of the hammer price - i.e. 24% inclusive of V.A.T.
The catalogues for our sales are usually available around 10 days prior to any sale. Printed catalogues are available from the saleroom directly - call 01227 763337. (Cost of catalogue and postage is £10).
Online catalogues are available both on this site and also at www.the-saleroom.com/cag, where you can also register to bid live during the sale itself. More on this below.
Physical viewing in person can only be permitted at the times specified - these times are:
- Thursday immediately prior to a sale: 10am-7pm
- Friday immediately prior to a sale: 3pm-7pm
- Saleday mornings (Saturdays & Sundays): 9am-11am
All prospective buyers must register with the Clerk and obtain a bidding number and a viewing pass in order to view the smaller items on the upper gallery.
DESCRIPTIONS PROVIDED IN BOTH PRINTED AND ON-LINE CATALOGUE FORMATS DO NOT INCLUDE CONDITION REPORTS. THE ABSENCE OF A CONDITION REPORT DOES NOT IMPLY THAT THE LOT IS IN PERFECT CONDITION OR COMPLETELY FREE FROM WEAR AND TEAR, IMPERFECTIONS OR THE EFFECTS OF AGING. INTERESTED BIDDERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO REQUEST A CONDITION REPORT ON ANY LOTS UPON WHICH THEY INTEND TO BID, PRIOR TO PLACING A BID. ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE GOVERNED BY THE CANTERBURY AUCTION GALLERIES CONDITIONS OF SALE
*ALL COMMISSION BIDS, WHETHER BY PHONE, THROUGH OUR WEBSITE, VIA EMAIL OR VIA FAX, MUST BE LEFT BY 9AM ON THE DAY OF SALE. WE CANNOT GUARANTEE ANY COMMISSION BIDS LEFT AFTER 9AM *
Intending buyers who are unable to attend the auction may leave written commission bids with the Auctioneers, who undertake to purchase lots as cheaply as allowed by other bids and any reserves. Whilst taking every care, the Auctioneers cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Commission forms should be handed to the Auctioneer or Sale Clerk by 9am on the Day of Sale at latest.
You may also leave commission bids via our website, you will receive an automatic notification from us that the bids have been received. Please note, if you do NOT receive any notification from us this means that the process has not been completed correctly, please ensure you follow ALL the steps when leaving your commission bids via the website. The onus for ensuring bids have been left correctly via the website rests with the bidder.
Faxed/e-mail commission bids can be left with the Auctioneers at any time up until 9 am on the Day of Sale. They must state the senders full address and telephone number and be signed by the intending buyer. The onus of the safe and timely receipt of the faxed/e-mail bids rests with the bidder.
Telephone bidding will only be accepted by prior arrangement with the Auction House.
Internet Bidding - 'the galleries.live' Online Bid Platform
You can now bid on lots using our very own 0%, free-to-use inhouse online bid platform, 'the galleries.live', incurring no additional web fees or online charges. Bid in real time, with live audio streaming.
Step by step guide - how to register:
1. In top right hand corner of the 'Home' page, click on 'create an account'
2. You will now see the 'Register' page
3. Fill in the form with your details
4. At the bottom of the page tick the box 'I am not a robot', then click on the green button 'Register'
5. A new page appears, 'Live Auction Registration'. It will ask you to re-enter your password and to confirm your title, first name, last name and to select your time zone (e.g Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London) and to select your country (e.g United Kingdom)
6. At the bottom of the page click on the green button 'Continue'
7. A new page appears, 'Authorise a card'. It will ask you to enter your card details. Please use a card which is registered to your address, i.e the address you provided on the 'Register' page. Please note: we do not store your card details, and we do not take money from your account in the event of a successful bid. This is simply to verify that your address and registration details are legitimate
8. At the bottom right hand corner of the page click on the blue 'Save' button. A small green window will appear with the text 'Your card is registered'
9. A the bottom of the page click the green button 'Continue'
10. You are now successfully registered and will have been redirected to our 'Home' page
Already registered? How to login:
1. In the top right hand corner of the 'Home' page click 'Login'
2. You will now see the 'Login' page. Enter your email address and password, then click on the blue 'Login' button
3. A new page appears, 'Authorise a card' . Please follow steps 8, 9, and 10 as above (Please note, payment will NOT be taken from your card. This is for identification purposes only).
How to Access our Bid Platform:
Our bid platform will be live and running on the days of the auction starting at 10am
1. On our 'Home' page, at the top of the page under 'The Canterbury Auction Galleries' logo, click on 'Auction Calendar'
2. A new page appears, you will see the date of the auction. Click on the blue button 'View Lots'
3. A new page appears with the date of the auction. On the right hand side there is a blue box, 'Live Bidding'. On the day of the auction there will be a button to click, which will lead to 'The Galleries.live' bid platform
ONLINE BIDDING - THE SALEROOM
You can also bid on lots in our sales via The Saleroom. To register for this service visit www.the-saleroom.com - once you have registered you can find our catalogues at www.the-saleroom.com/cag. Please be aware that there is a 4.95% surcharge for this service, levied on top of our buyers premium of 20% plus VAT (i.e 24% including VAT).
Should you sign up to bid online with the-saleroom.com we have the right to take payment for any lots purchased plus any buyers premium etc from the card details left with the-saleroom.com.
If you experience any difficulty signing up to this service, please contact the-saleroom directly on 0203 725 55 55.
Enquiries as to whether lots have been purchased must be made on the morning after the Sale to the Office – Telephone 01227 763337 - and not while the auction is in progress.
Rate of Sale
Approximately 80-100 lots per hour. Refreshments will be available on Sale Day.
*DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS WE HAVE INTRODUCED SOME CHANGES TO PAYMENT METHODS. PLEASE SEE OUR HOME PAGE FOR DETAILS*
We respectfully request that all successful buyers pay for their purchases promptly and certainly within two weeks following an auction.
Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard, Access, Eurocard. No lots may be transferred to another party and all lots will be invoiced to the person bidding, unless by prior agreement with the Auctioneer.
Payment for purchases can also be made in cash or by cheque drawn on a British bank. Cheque payment for purchases in excess of £50 by persons unknown to the Auctioneers can only be made on the understanding that no Lots will be handed over until the cheque has been cleared, except where a satisfactory bankers reference has already been received by us prior to the commencement of the auction. Prospective purchasers not well known to us must supply us at least four days prior to the auction with the address of their bank, their account number, and an indication of the likely total amount of their purchases. Cheques drawn on foreign banks may be subject to a surcharge and delay in clearance.
OVERSEAS BUYERS - Card payments are NOT accepted from overseas buyers. Payments can be made by bank transfer, details of which will be on the invoice when it is sent.
NEW PAYMENT TERMS FROM APRIL 2012 - Due to the recent bout of fraudulent bidding in our sales, we have been forced to impose a new policy regarding payment for purchases over £1500. We will now only accept payment over this amount by bank transfer or by card or cash payments IN PERSON. We will NOT accept payments by card over the phone for amounts over £1500.
Lots purchased online with www.the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 4.95 % of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed.
Collection & Shipping
*DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS WE ARE CURRENTLY OPERATING A STRICTLY 'BY APPOINTMENT ONLY' COLLECTION SYSTEM. PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE ON 01227 763337 TO PAY FOR YOUR ITEM BY CARD OVER THE PHONE (FOR PAYMENTS OF £2,500 OR UNDER) OR ALTERNATIVELY PLEASE MAKE A PAYMENT VIA A BANK TRANSFER. AS SOON AS YOU HAVE MADE YOUR PAYMENT PLEASE CONTACT OUR PORTERS WHO WILL ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOU TO COLLECT YOUR PURCHASED ITEMS. COLLECTIONS ARE FROM OUR BACK DOOR IN KIRBYS LANE, (CT2 8AG). PLEASE NOTE WE ARE NOT OPEN AT WEEKENDS, OUR OPENING HOURS ARE MONDAY TO FRIDAY 9AM TO 4.45PM*
We request that all lots are collected within 10 days following an auction (unless otherwise agreed). This is especially important for furniture purchases and we reserve the right to charge for storage of uncollected furniture lots.
If you need your purchase sent to you, we can send some smaller goods within the UK - please contact us for a quote or, if we cannot send your purchase ourselves, for our advice on companies we work with who offer this service.
We do not offer an international shipping service and instead recommend the following companies for you to contact in order to receive quotes:
Mail Boxes Etc, who have a branch local to us in Canterbury -
email: email@example.com tel: 01227 46 41 61.
Jentel Packing, who our customers use on a regular basis
email: firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 01268 77 67 77