Selling at Auction
We believe that selling with The Canterbury Auction Galleries will enable you, as a vendor, to achieve high prices for your items and we have a strong track record of facilitating this - with vendors often achieving hammer prices in excess of equivalent items sold in the London salerooms.
We achieve this success for our vendors in two ways - firstly, our valuers all possess a broad range of knowledge, experience and expertise enabling us to ensure that your items are valued accurately and, secondly, we employ the full range of modern marketing and selling techniques, with, for instance, every item we sell illustrated and available to buy online, in real time. We are also committed to providing a personal and personable service to ensure that selling your item with us is as stress free and pleasurable as possible.
We are proud to offer a free advisory and valuation service for those clients considering selling at auction. This service is offered four ways:
- Email an image, size, description and any other information regarding your item(s) to us and we can approximate value for you. Although it is always best and more accurate for valuation purposes to see an item in person, emailing first is often a useful way to find out if your item is worth bringing to us - before you make the trip! You can find the email address on the 'contact us' page. We aim to respond within two to three working days, but sometimes, due to high levels of demand, it can take a little longer.
- If you do decide to visit us, on most Friday mornings between 10am and 1pm our valuers are available for a 'drop in' service at our Canterbury saleroom (40 Station Road West, Canterbury, CT2 8AN). Please be aware that, given the popularity of these mornings, there may well be a queue to see a valuer and, whilst there are usually three valuers on duty, you may have to wait.
- Alternatively, home visits are available by prior appointment should your items be too large or numerous to bring to the saleroom yourself.
- Finally, we hold specialist valuation days both in the Canterbury saleroom and at other locations in Kent periodically. These are advertised online and in printed media.
Collection and Delivery
Transport of goods can be arranged with reputable local carriers and we also offer free storage of goods pending auction. Transport is calculated on a time/cost basis and is usually deducted from the final proceeds of the sale.
Goods may also be brought to the Auction Galleries during normal working hours by prior arrangement, should you not need a courier or prefer to bring the items to us yourself.
To ensure that the production of our catalogues runs smoothly, we operate an entry deadline system and, should you wish to enter your item(s) into one of our sales, we will need them in our Canterbury saleroom by a certain date prior to an auction to avoid disappointment. You can find the entry deadlines for all sales listed under the Auction Dates section of the website (under 'News'), or alternatively for each sale under the Auction Calendar section.
Commisson is charged to vendors at the following rates, These rates are inclusive of VAT, Insurance and Handling charges:
- 20% on any lot sold up to £2000 - (16.67%% + VAT)
- With a minimum charge of £20 per lot - (£16.67 + VAT)
- 12.5% on any lot sold above £2000 - (10.42% + VAT)
Charges for illustration of lots in the catalogue are charged per lot at £10 + VAT (£12 in total)
10% of the reserve price on any lot unsold unless it is left to the discretion of the auctioneer or has an agreed reserve.
Should a vendor cancel instructions to sell, the auctioneer reserves the right to charge 10% of the estimated realisation price, and any expenses incurred.
Settlement is normally made three weeks after the auction by means of cheque but the right is reserved to withhold payment until all lots have been paid for by the buyers.